Thursday, January 12, 2023
11:00 AM – 1:00 PM EST (8:00 – 10:00 AM PST)
Online via Zoom Webinar
Experts and leaders involved with intellectual property (IP) and technology innovation in Muslim-majority countries took part in a discussion about challenges and opportunities in countries with varying degrees of religious laws and developing interests in economic development.
This gathering included perspectives from an international law firm, a legal department of the government of the Emirate of Dubai, a technology investment fund, and a chemicals manufacturer. The webinar panelists spoke about their IP-related experiences and technology innovation perspectives from different vantage points in various Muslim-majority countries.
This live webinar was hosted on Zoom Webinar and organized by the Center for Intellectual Property x Innovation Policy (C-IP2) at George Mason University – Antonin Scalia Law School
- Saad Hasan: Principal, Sturgeon Capital (bio)
- *Dr. Bashar Malkawi: Legal Counsel and Head of Research and Publications, The Government of Dubai Legal Affairs Department (bio)
- Kevin Tamm: Senior Intellectual Property Counsel, SI Group (LinkedIn)
- Jeffrey Whittle: Global Head of Womble Bond Dickinson’s Energy and Natural Resources Industry Sector (bio)
- (Moderator) Tabrez Y. Ebrahim: Associate Professor, Lewis & Clark Law School; Scholar, Center for Intellectual Property x Innovation Policy, George Mason University (Lewis & Clark bio | C-IP2 bio)
*We regret that Dr. Malkawi was unable to join us on the day of the webinar. However, he has generously allowed us to share his planned presentation slides (please see below).
The following slides are the property of the respective speakers and have been uploaded here with permission.
Jeffrey Whittle: Middle Commerce Layer for Investment Opportunity Growth